I started my focus on eating an abundance of vegetables in mid 2019 after a recommendation by my doctor, who is a Naturopathic physician.
I had an alarming cholesterol rate over 200 points. My Dr. recommended that I eat an abundance of vegetables with a little bit of protein, avoid processed foods, gluten, dairy and alcohol. I didn't completely follow the rules, but I did make a conscious effort to increase my vegetable intake. A month later, my cholesterol was normal.
I have taken the following hands-on cooking classes:
- Farmer's Market & Cooking with Nivea - Santurce, Puerto Rico
- Adobo chicken and beans
- Cucumber, avocado, tomato salad
- Candied papaya with goat cheese
- House of Taste Cooking School - Bangkok, Thailand
- Pad thai with shrimp
- Thai chicken salad
- Green coconut curry with chicken
- Mango with sticky rice
- Culinary Institute of the Pacific - Honolulu, Hawaii (Seed to Table course)
- Kale smoothie
- Pesto with pasta and grilled chicken
- Salad with pears, cheese and toasted walnuts
I have attended the following cooking demonstrations:
- McCully Shopping Center Test Kitchen - Honolulu, Hawaii
- Scone making demonstration with baker Pieter Vliet, Ohia Bakery, LLC
- New Orleans School of Cooking - New Orleans, Louisiana
- Cooking demonstration with Ms. Harriett
- Chicken Creole
- Abita Amber lager (this was not prepared for us, but served along side the meal)
So much fun! I love!
May and July 2019 - My cholesterol is out of control.
Update - December 2019: My cholesterol is elevated again. 😐👊 Perhaps this is due to all the holiday gorging and drinking, etc. I need to try harder, I know.
Update - January 2020. Triglycerides elevated.
Update - February 2020: My cholesterol is back to normal. I have been taking a red rice yeast supplement.
Update - September 2020: My overall cholesterol is good at 176. However, my triglycerides are elevated. I don’t normally eat a lot of sweets or fruits and had issues with this before. My doctor thinks it’s because it’s hereditary and prescribed a high quality fish oil supplement to assist me with this.
Update - October 2020: My overall cholesterol is excellent at 169. Additionally, my triglycerides, HDL, LDL , and non-HDL are all in check and in healthy ranges. Fuck yah! I've had a horrible October, but at least I have some good news now here. 👌
Update - April 2021: My overall cholesterol is still excellent at 157. Fantastic!
Update - January 2022: All within normal levels. LDL is right at the border, but my Dr. is okay with keeping my medications as is.
Post a Comment