I took a look at a lot of different beef stew recipes and found so many variations. Ultimately, this is the flavor/ingredient combo I went with.
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 red potatoes, chopped
- 3 white potatoes, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 pounds stewing beef, in chunks
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs beef broth (1 box)
- 1 T worsteshire sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon thyme
- 2 Tablespoons cornstartch
- Wash vegetables
- Toss beef chunks in the flour, salt, and pepper.
- Add 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil to a heated sauce pan and brown beef on all sides.
- While beef is browning, chop up vegetables.
- Transfer browned beef to a pot.
- Add some beef broth to the pan to soften the hardened flour bits and scrape them off. Transfer the broth to the pot.
- Add 2 Tablespoons oil to the pan. Add carrots, celery, onions, and garlic and stir fry for a few minutes. Then transfer them to the pot too.
- Add potatoes to the pot as well as the remainder of the beef broth, bay leaves, worsteshire sauce and thyme.
- Push the tomato paste down into the broth to dissolve and bring to a boil.
- In a separate dish, add cornstarch and enough water to create a paste. Add this paste to the stew.
- Lower heat and simmer for one hour.
IG post of this video: Beef Stew with Vegetables (Reel)
YouTube post of this video: Beef Stew with Vegetables (full video with captions)