The mushrooms were on sale for two trays for $5.00. I got two and used one of them for this meaty mushroom chili dish. I found a recipe for this online, but changed it up a bit according to what I had on hand and added a zucchini for additional veggies. Here's the link to the original inspiration recipe: https://houseofnasheats.com/meaty-mushroom-chili/
Here's my recipe variation.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 slices Canadian bacon, chopped
- 1 tray mushrooms, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- Prepare ingredients as described above (chop, rinse, drain).
- Add oil to heated pan.
- Add canadian bacon, onions, garlic, and zucchini. Stir, cover, and let sweat.
- Add ground beef. Break it up into crumbles and stir. Cook meat through until no longer pink.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir. Bring to a simmer.
- Add spices (chili powder, cumin powder, sugar, black pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper), kidney beans and water. Bring to a simmer and let it cook for about 30 minutes.
IG post of this video: Meaty Mushroom Chili (Reel)
YouTube post of this video: Meaty Mushroom Chili (full video with captions)