|Vegetarian Pho from Ha Long Pho|
Things I changed:
- Used chicken bouillon base instead of vegetable broth
- Used dried shiitake mushrooms instead of fresh
- Cooked shiitake mushrooms directly in the broth instead of stir fry (I think stir fried and added later as the original recipe directed would've been better)
- I ended up adding more star anise and cloves than what is shown in my video. I needed the flavor stronger.
- I cooked it on low in a crock pot for 24 hours.
- 2 3-inch cinnamon sticks
- 8 whole cloves
- 5 star anise
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 4-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and halved
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon base
- 8 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 6 ounces (one large handful) rice noodles
- 5 ounces dried shiitake mushrooms
- Mung bean sprouts
- Chopped cilantro
- Sliced Jalapenos
- Wedges of lime
- Sliced onion
- Chili oil
- Toast spices - cinnamon, cloves, and star anise.
- Peel ginger and cut onion.
- Add spices, ginger, and onion to slow cooker.
- Add chicken bouillon, water, soy sauce, and mushrooms.
- Cook on low for 24 hours.
- Soak rice noodles in hot water and prepare garnishes.
- Add desired amount of each broth, mushrooms, noodles, and garnishes to your bowl.
- Add chili oil if heat is desired.
YouTube post of this video: Mushroom Pho (full video, regular speed, with captions)