The weather has been rainy on and off. Sometimes I want to go for a walk and then it rains and I change my mind and I hate it. To me, a walk was never enjoyable in the rain. It's messy and dirty, you're trying not to get wet, your sunglasses get fogged up, and if it's windy an umbrella doesn't help.
The worst experience I've ever had being out in the rain was during a bike tour in Bangkok, Thailand. The first part of the tour was to go from the check-in point through the slums and highway to get to the dirty, polluted river. I mean it was great to get to see a different part of the world. But riding a bike through the dirty slum rain water on the roads was not pleasant at all. I had that line of crap water all over my back from the rain splashing up from the back tire.
Anyway, enough about that. Since it has been rainy and it's soup weather, I craved and wanted to make a filipino soup called sinigang. My mother and grandmother made this and I had never took the time to learn how to cook this dish. I called my mom and she went over the basics of the recipe. She didn't suggest fish bones, but it was the cheapest cut in the store, I know there's still a lot of flesh left on them, and collagen from bones are good for hair, skin, and nails. OMG, it was so good!
- 3 small tomatoes, sliced
- 1 long eggplant, cut into 3-inch segments and halved
- 3 baby bok choy, chopped
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 3-inch piece of ginger, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons patis (fish sauce)
- 1 pound salmon bones
- 2 cups water (more or less depending on how watery you like it)
- Prepare ingredients as listed above (chop, slice, halve)
- Place tomatoes, onions, ginger, fish bones, and patis into pot. Cover and let cook until the natural liquids are released. (This allows you to gauge how much water to add)
- Add eggplant, bok choy, and water. Cover and simmer until eggplant is cooked through.
IG post of this video: Salmon Bone Sinigang (short clip, sped up for IG)
YouTube post of this video: Salmon Bone Sinigang (full video with closed captioning)
YouTube post of new video: Salmon Belly Sinigang (full video)
IG post of reel: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CaOm_URDm9p/?utm_medium=copy_link
YouTube post of new video: Mackerel Sinigang (full video)