My father gave me a bunch of green onions from his garden. I knew I wouldn't be able to eat them all before they went bad, so I chopped them up and froze most of it for later use. I saved the white bottom sections of the onions for this recipe.
This is a variation of a leek soup. The recipes I looked up actually asked for the sour cream to be blended into the soup. But I forgot to do that. So I just put a dollop in the middle and it was still delicious that way.
- 1 lb. potatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 2 Teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- dollop of sour cream
- Prepare ingredients as described above (dice, chop).
- Add all ingredients, except sour cream, to slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Transfer soup to blender and blend until smooth.
- Add a dollop of sour cream to middle of soup and sprinkle with extra thyme if you want to be fancy.