I got a bunch of okra from my aunt. I made it two different ways and this is one of them. It's a spin off my most popular video recipe, which is the Air Fried Ranch Panko Chicken Tenders.
The okra turned out with a golden brown crispy outer layer, perfectly tender on the inside, with a hint of slime. Delicious!
I enjoyed these and like this breed of okra. I have been growing some in my container garden and the breed I have is more fibrous. Mine need to be picked super young and small so it doesn't get too fibrous. Fiber sounds good for your health, but fiber isn't very palatable. 😛
Here's my recipe for Air Fried Panko Okra. It tastes great alone, but is also neutral enough if you'd like to have it with your favorite dipping sauce. I had it with ketchup and it was like fries. I wondered if I should call them Okra Fries instead.
- 4-5 cups okra, rinsed, ends chopped off, sliced in halves lengthwise
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- Avocado Oil Spray
- Prepare okra as indicated above (rinse, chop, slice). Set aside.
- Crack eggs into a bowl.
- Add garlic powder, salt, pepper, and parsley to eggs and scramble.
- Pour egg mixture over okra and toss well to coat. Set aside.
- Pour half bag of panko into a resealable container.
- Add egg-coated okra to panko.
- Pour remaining panko over okra.
- Seal container and shake vigorously.
- Place panko-coated okra in a single layer of air fryer pan.
- Spray with avocado oil.
- Air fry for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.
IG post of this video: Air Fried Panko Okra (sped up to fit IG time limit)
YouTube post of this video: Air Fried Panko Okra (regular speed)